March 15, 2013

It looks like I'll be trying something new. My stomach hasn't been tolerating the methotrexate well over the past couple of months so my Rheumatologist is switching my meds, taking away the methotrexate and adding Arava (leflunomide). I get to keep the Enbrel and meloxicam, yea! After reading the warnings for Arava I'm a little nervous to take it. I thought methotrexate was pure poison, but Arava is like the meaner twin sister. I have a feeling I won't last long on this drug. There's a 20% chance of stomach problems so I'm sure to be in that minority. All I want is access to the methotrexate injection so my stomach isn't torn apart by this drug. Why is there still a shortage? It's been years now...just make the medicine! Why does it have to be so difficult? Thousands of cancer and arthritis patients use this drug every day and it is critical to the treatment of both conditions. What is the hold-up?

No comments: