November 09, 2012

Scleroderma. That's Grandma's diagnosis. There's no way to know how long she's had this horrific disease. It has been destroying her lungs which are now at 50% capacity. Scleroderma doesn't appear to be related to the HLA-b27 diseases my sister, my daughter and I all have. My 6-year-old nephew (son of my sister with arthritis) has been having blood sugar tests way out of the normal range and it's looking like Juvenile Diabetes, Type I, an autoimmune disease. With this many people in one family getting diagnosed with autoimmune diseases you have to wonder if and how it is all connected. And I also wonder why after so many years, have they not found a cure for a single autoimmune disease.

My husband jokes that it's our "royal blood". Our genealogy goes back to the kings of England.

No comments: