September 11, 2012

It's easy for arthritis patients to forget how important their medicine is. After many weeks of feeling almost normal we tend to forget that these biologics are limiting the pain and increasing our movement. Last month I got an infection, started antibiotics, and stopped my arthritis meds so my immune system could kick in. After missing my first Enbrel shot I still felt okay for a couple of days and I thought, maybe I don't really need this anymore. But then it hit, the intense pain. I had forgotten how much pain Psoriatic Arthritis causes. It was debilitating. It made me cry. It kept me awake at night. It changed my dreams to nightmares. It made me grouchy and irritable. Once I was able to get an Enbrel shot again, within two days I was back to my new normal. My heart goes out to all those who have suffered for years without the amazing drugs we have today. My life is very different because of my disease but it would be unbearable without the medicine.

No comments: