July 03, 2012

I experienced TSA in a whole new way on my recent trip to New York. It was a long trip so I had to bring 3 injections of Enbrel as well as Maddie's liquid Naproxen. I called Delta and the TSA ahead of time to find out how to get through security with a cooler, frozen gel packs, syringes, and a large bottle of liquid medicine. I was told it wouldn't be a problem, just to inform the TSA agents what I'm carrying and let them know I don't want the syringes to go through the x-ray (a recommendation from TSA over the phone). Well it turned out not to be that easy. I informed the TSA that I had liquid medication and they said to send it through the x-ray. Because I wouldn't let them x-ray the Enbrel I had to undergo a full pat-down. And then I got a lecture for sending the liquid through the x-ray (different agents, obviously not communicating too well). My husband went ahead and took the kids to find our gate so I didn't have Maddie with me but had her medicine, which TSA thought was suspicious. You know, you can never win.  The funny thing is after the full pat-down they never did open the Enbrel case and look at the syringes. I could have been carrying anything in that case and they would have never known.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suggest you send this story to your representatives.

Let them know that you are disgusted at the TSA's show of pretend security. It is clear that the full-body frisk you experienced was not security-related, but completely retaliatory for causing the screeners to do extra work and for you not falling in line as expected under the supposed authority of the screeners.

Anonymous said...

Let your reps also know that the entire TSA Cares scheme -- http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/disabilityandmedicalneeds/tsa_cares.shtm -- is a sham meant to deflect public attention away from TSA abuses.

You will be told one thing in advance, and the screeners will make up their own rules at the checkpoint.

Anonymous said...

How far are you from New York?

Reason I ask is I had to move 1500 miles away to keep my job, and friends and family are still at old location and since this patdown nonsense started, I no longer fly. I either take the train or drive.

Amtrak ridership is way up; most give tsa as the reason.

Holly said...

I was flying from CA to NY so the train wasn't an option. Here on the West coast we just don't have the mass transit options you have in the East.

Holly said...

Twice I tried filling out the TSA complaint form online and it keeps deleting my answers before I can print it out. Government conspiracy?

Anonymous said...

Am originally from L.A. The Amtrak hub is Chicago, so its possible to get from S.F. or L.A. to there, and then on to N.Y.