March 19, 2011

Maddie's arthritis is currently affecting both knees, an ankle, and a couple of toes. Her previous flairs have always been in one knee or one ankle; she'd get around by hopping on the opposite leg. This morning she couldn't walk because she couldn't hop on either leg. I've asked the doctors for crutches or a wheel chair for these times when she can't walk and they won't give me one. An 8-year-old doesn't fit in a stroller so I'm not sure exactly what they expect me to do. My husband can carry her but I can't, and since I'm the one that has to get her to school and back you would think the doctors would have a little compassion for a mother with an arthritic back. Yes, I've carried her to school piggyback. The doctors want her to take a hot bath in the morning, stretch, and move slowly to warm up the joint.  We're up at 6 a.m. as it is. I don't know if we can stand to start our routine any earlier.

No comments: